Dark Eye Circles
A lot of us are familiar with that panda-like shadow underneath our eyes. Dark eye circles are periorbital hyperpigmentation, seen as dark areas around the eyelids.
The causes of dark eye circles are multiple:
- Genetics: some individuals have a curved band of dark pigmentation on the lower eyelid skin
- Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation: irregular pigmentation due to eyelid skin inflammation and skin textural changes
- Capillaries and veins: weakened capillaries in the presence of thinning skin are most likely the most common cause of dark eye circles
- Shadows: depression caused by tear troughs can create shadows, thus an illusion of darkness.
- Other reasons: thin skin, dryness, aging, hormonal changes, nutritional status, seasonal allergy, UV radiation are all other miscellaneous causes as well.