While it is not a health condition, having thin lips can make a person highly self-conscious. With aging, thin lips are also associated with perioral wrinkles, downward corners of the mouth, and loss of lip volume and shape.
Natural and full lips consider the following aesthetics:
- Red lips shape and volume
- White lips shape and volume
- Borders between the red and white lips
- Cupids bow and philtrum
- Corner of the mouth
Thin lips are caused by a number of reasons:
- Genetics: Some people are naturally born with thin lips
- Aging: Over time, loss of both quality and quantity of connective tissue components elastin and collagen produce thin lips.
- Sun exposure: frequent, prolonged, and repeated solar irradiation accelerate the natural changes to the connective tissue components, resulting in premature wrinkling and loss of volume.
- Smoking: Another frequent but completely preventable source of accelerated aging is tobacco smoking. Lines around the mouth can be a sign of this pollutant.