- What is Eyelid Surgery(Blepharoplasty)?
- How does this treatment differ from the other options?
- What Conditions May Be Treated?
- Whom is the treatment for?
- Whom is the treatment not for?
- How is the treatment done?
- What results may be expected?
- When will one see the results?
- How long do the results last?
- How to maintain or enhance my results?
- What is the recovery like?
What is Eyelid Surgery(Blepharoplasty)?
Eyelid surgery restores a more youthful gaze by correcting loose skin, pouching, sagging around the eyes, sunken eyes, and sagging cheeks.
For upper eyelids, the surgery sharpens the crease, contours the lids, and reshapes the eyes. Excessive saggy eyelids due to heavy brows can also be corrected. For Asians, double eyelid surgery can create wider looking eyes.
For lower eyelids, correctable conditions include eye bags, sunken eyes, skin laxity, and sagging cheeks.
How does this treatment differ from the other options?
1. Quick and dramatic improvement
2. Long lasting
3. Less maintenance required
What Conditions May Be Treated?
1. For individuals who desire quick and dramatic improvement and are able to tolerate downtime
2. Excessive upper eyelid hooding
3. Lack or insufficient upper eyelid crease
4. Eye bags
5. Mild tear trough
6. Saggy brows, flatten cheeks, wrinkles, and water retention are not treated.
Whom is the treatment for?
1. Patients with realistic expectation
2. Patients in good healthy conditions
Whom is the treatment not for?
1. Patients with unrealistic expectation
2. Patients with low blood sugar, dehydration, acute disease, autoimmune disorder, blood disorder, cancer, or on bleeding thinning medications.
How is the treatment done?
For the aging upper eyelids, via an incision in the natural crease, the eyelid skin, muscle, fat, and other soft tissue are reconfigured. For excessive saggy eyelids due to heavy brows, simultaneous brow lifting with frown line reduction via the same upper lid incision can be carried out, eliminating additional incision. For Asians, reattachment of soft tissue helps to form a new crease.
For lower eyelids, external or internal incisions are often combined with muscle tightening, fat replacement, and chemical or laser skin resurfacing.
The surgery takes about two hours in an outpatient surgery center.
Local anesthesia my be used.
What results may be expected?
1. Reduced hooding
2. More prominent upper crease
3. Improved eye bags
4. Filled in tear trough
5. Saggy brows, flatten cheeks, wrinkles, and water retention are not expected to improve.
When will one see the results?
The results are seen immediately.
How long do the results last?
Results last years
How to maintain or enhance my results?
Additional maintenance is required, although less frequent and less intensive than non-surgical options.
Further treatment may be recommended to further results.
What is the recovery like?
Recovery lasts one week
Moderate swelling, mild bruising, and some soreness are expected.
Prescription pain medications are generally not necessary.
Most people return to work and activities in one week
Cost of Treatments
Cost of treatment options ranges from three to five digits. An in-person consultation with your specialist physician will help to determine the best suitable solution to your own individual needs.